Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Do the HODDEOK!!! (late posting)

Last Monday (April 18,2011) my first time to do Hoddeok which is also called Korean Pancake. It has a thick dough with sweet caramel inside. I first tasted it during my trip in Korea last December and I have became a fan of it. Its good to beat the cold weather. But carefull of the filling because it can be very hot and burn your tongue. Anyway, few days before I browse on youtube and look for some good videos about how to cook Hoddeok and brought the ingredients needed.

Here is the Ingredients:

Yeast Mixture
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp yeast

Dough Mixture
3 cups all purpose flour
Yeast Mixture
1 cup Milk
1/2 tbsp salt

Filling
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tbsp peanuts
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder

Ok from the video I watched after mixing dough and the yeast mixture, you have to put it in the oven for 3 hours to make the dough rise. While it was in the oven, I did a painting job for our house. After 1 1/2 hours, I checked the Oven and saw that the dough is turning brown and its getting hard. I turn the oven off and put the tray out and cool it down. After an hour, i again looked at the dough. On the outside it was freakin hard but on the inside it is soft. So i tried to save the inner part to put the filling and fry it. I got only a few small piece bacause its hard to make it form like a ball. Fried it and it was so hard. So my first Hoddeok attempt  ---> FAILED

The next day, I again do the Hoddeok. Second try. I hope it will be better. I mean at least fine. Here is the direction:
1. I put the Yeast and Sugar to the Water to make a Yeast Mixture
2. I combined the Yeast Mixture to the Flour then add the milk and salt. Mix it thouroughly. Then put a cover and set aside for 1 hour.
3. After 1 hour, again mix the dough to get rid of small bubbles then set aside for another 20-30 minutes.
4. After setting aside, again mix the dough put a few flour so that it wont stic much to your hand and to the plate. Get a piece of the dough mixture form a ball then flatten it.
5. Put filling mixture at the center of the dough and cover the filling
6. Heat the oil then put the Hoddeok. After a few minutes turn the Hoddeok to the other side then flatten. You can turn it over and over until it is brown.
7. Hoddeok is best served while its hot. But Caution FILLING is VERY HOT.

Hoddeok Experiment ---> Success!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment