Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Climbing Mount Yushan

"My Last Climb" words that always comes out of my mouth whenever I do major climbs. Here I am again doing my last climb act. I've done Mount Kinabalu way back February 2010 where I got to see an awesome sunrise. An invitation by Jay Torres and my mountaineer friends motivated me to do another highest.

I'm not really a mountaineer that is why I don't have idea about Mount Yushan and the Asian Trilogy. Mount Yushan or Jade Mountain is one of the trilogy. Others are Mount Kinabalu in Malaysia and Mount Fuji in Japan. Mount Yushan is the highest in northeast asia, one of the highest mountains that is in the island with an elevation of 3952m. I have a thought that this might be easier than Mount Kinabalu as its elevation is at 4095m and so I decided to go for it.

Of course, we waited for airplane promo fares. Luckily, airasia gave a good deal for us. Around 2.5k roundtrip ticket to Taiwan. Not bad at all. We were so excited specially after we got all our visas and  climb permit approved. Anyway, one needs a permit before climbing Yushan and you'll know if you got permit a month before your proposed climb date.


April 17, 2013 we flew Clark to Taoyuan Airport in Taipei which is about 1 1/2 hours travel. I took advantage of my most needed rest. Rest because me, Jen and Ove went to Laguna and Baler before Taiwan and rest because we are about to climb one of the highest. Our journey from Makati to Clark to Taiwan went smoothly as well as our first high speed rail ride to Chiayi Station where we will meet Shaner and the Mountain Guides.


From Chiayi Station, we have 2 vans for us 15 participants. We stop by a local restaurant for our dinner and a convenient store to buy things we need for the climb like water, trail foods and personal stuffs. The boys already tried Taiwan Beer while on our way to Dongpu Lodge where we will stay for our first night. At the lodge, the weather is very cold. We are all now anxious of the temperature up there. I think 1 or 2 of us had the courage to take a very cold bath. That is out of my mind specially when the hot water is not available. And so we wished to have a shower the next day. We separated our Climb bag from our Taipei stuffs and went to sleep.

April 18, 2013 at 6am our wake up time. We did a little last minute fixing our stuffs then we had a traditional chinese breakfast as Shaner said. Good for me as i'm having a bad stomach. I already had 2x trip to the you know land. I also went hopping and running around the bathroom as i throw the very cold water into my body. Yeah i showered in cold.

Then we are ready for another achievement. We went to the Tataka Mountain Station where we were checked and proceeded to the start of trailhead. The trail is smooth but the weather is unpredictable. Most of the time i'm busy wearing on and off my rain jacket as well as my stuffs needed to resist the very cold temperature.


We stopped at 1.8 km and this is the foot of the Front Peak of Yushan. Going up the front peak is not easy. I was thinking of Mount Apo's Boulders without the sulfur air. The rocks are unsteady and so our guide reminded us to be cautious with our step. True enough one of our friends almost got hit by a falling rocks.


First day of climb, we have already summited Mt. Jade front peak at 3239m. Whew! At the top, the guide prepared warm coffee and delicious cookies for us. Then we go down to the foot of the front peak to eat lunch and proceed to our journey.


We had instant noodles for lunch prepared by our guides. Then off we go for another 3.5 km to the Pai Mulin Lodge where we will stay for a while before proceeding to the summit. I was in a hurry to the lodge because my bladder can't hold it anymore but the guide is at a pace that can avoid the mountain sickness. And so, me and Jen is so patient to hold our most needed call. In my thought, this is one of the moments when you wished you were a boy. Just put out your teeny weeny and you're done. Lol!
Then a few meters from the lodge is the WC or water closet. A term we learned during our Vietnam tour and they use this too. Well, what do you expect? The smell is so unlikely. I can't even imagine going inside the closet. We looked for a good spot behind the WC and whoolah were done!


Dinner was prepared for us. I thought we will be loaded with lots of instant noodles. To our surprise we have a very decent meal. We have rice, vegetables, pork and others. The food is awesome. But I'm still worried that I might need another trip to you know land and so I did not indulge myself with the festive foodies. Before 5pm, we were ready to rest. We have our own sleeping bags and there is a big cover to somehow lessen the cold. Too bad our body is not comfortable with the hard wood in our back. I can't get my position right plus the sleeping bag that i'm using is blowing out its inner material that makes my nostril very sensitive. I felt so tired. I just close my eyes and get used to it.


At 12 midnight, our wake up call. Everybody prepared to summit. Unfortunately the rain fell when we were on our way. Its cold. Its raining. Too bad, predictions for not seeing my sunrise is very clear. Another 3.5 km going to the Paiyun Hut is exhausting. We stop for a while for bladder break and to refill our water bottles. I was already asking if we will get a good view in the summit. If not, I would be staying and nor going forward to summit. Then everybody is still on the go. Another 2 km more to the summit.

At 400 m to the summit is a looking dangerous ascent. Yes looking dangerous. It seems like that is why at this point I have already confess that i'm up to this point of the climb. I'm done. I'm so wasted. The guide is telling our Team Leader Jay if we will proceed to the summit. It seems like there is a typhoon and it will be very hard for us to even stand at the summit. The hardcore peeps decided to go further and will give signal to us if we can do it. Then all decided to push through. A few steps further, 3 of us decided to go back. And me, the brave me, don't want to be left behind. I pushed my strength to the  fullest to reach the summit. It was not easy as the wind is throwing our weak bodies to quit. The coldness of the air is killing me. I will go. I can do it. God is with me and he is my strength. Then I heard my friends shouting in victory as well as our guide is shouting to us in the last line. All i thought he was encouraging us that this is the summit but later Shaner told me that he is saying that we have to move faster as it is dangerous to stay longer in the summit. Well, whatever! I'm struggling can't he realized?

Then my most awaited summit has come. It was a different feeling. My whole system is in high momentum. I bid everyone congratulations as I video document our summit moment. We may not seen the sunrise but we reached the peak. Awesome!


After our solo and group pictures was shot, we are now ready to go down. It's easier now because of the day light. The sun is still hiding and i'm wet and cold. I'm feeling that my cold urticaria is attacking me. Luckilly, Kamil has anti-histamine in her bag. We had our lunch at Pai Mulin. Then ready to finish the climb.


Another surprise, a festive meal. A celebration! The guide welcome us to Taiwan as we toast for the success of the climb.


Sharing the full documentation of the climb.


Another video of our whole Taiwan Trip


Some important tips:
1. Prepare yourself for the climb, it's not an easy one. You will be struggling in cold if you are not used to it. 
2. Clothing and shoes are essentials. Weather is unpredictable. It rained at most of our climb and at some point that we are sweating it out.
3. Contact the local guides. They will take care of everything. You need to get permit to climb Mount Yushan and some other mountains in Taiwan. You will know if you got the permit, a month before your proposed date.
4. Invite friends to go with you and enjoy every part of the climb. Its all worth it!

Special thanks to Dr. Shaner Jao for making the preparations smoothly and for being our interpreter. For the guides, though we can't understand very well but I salute you guys for keeping the climb safely and in order.
For the whole team, Congratulations to us and go Mount Fuji 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment